Mountain View Half Marathon

Date: 11/5/21
Training Day: 54
Miles: 13.3
Shoes: Hoka Challenger ATR 6
Weather: Sunny, started out in the low 40s, ended in high 50s

How It Felt: Because I was sick it didn’t feel the greatest, but for being sick, it did feel alright. The Sudafed helped a lot, as did the sunshine and scenery.

Commentary: My husband and I were up by 3:30am to make the drive down to Antelope Island for my race. I’d considered driving out in the van the night before and finding a place to stay, but when I’m sick, I’d much rather be home. Sure, the van is an extension of home, but you know what I mean.

I took a nap on the way down, which was much needed. Thanks, hubster, for driving! After my nap I had a few of my husband’s Carl’s Jr hashbrowns and most of a Huel. At the Antelope Island State Park entrance station I got checked in and got my bib. We stopped at a vault toilet on the way to the start for a pit stop. I didn’t want to have to stand in line with hundreds of my closets friends at the start.

What a gorgeous day for a run.

We got parked with a little over an hour before the race started. I wanted to take a Sudafed, but I didn’t want to have to stand in line to pee, so I waited until 15 minutes before to down a glass of water with my Sudafed. Big mistake!

At the start line, I met up with a bunch of folks from the trail running club who all carpooled down together. It was nice knowing other folks there even none of us ended up running together.

Look at all those running dorks! I’m glad I wasn’t the only one not sporting an IFTR shirt…

I started off a little too fast because in the beginning of every race, especially a trail race that’s mostly single track, it takes a bit for everyone to thin out so I can find my own pace. Then I settled into my I’m-fucking-sick-and-feel-it pace of about a 12:30 min/mi. That was two minutes slower than I was hoping, and my heart rate was 10 bpm higher than it was during my training runs. Being sick is stupid!

I felt like complete ass. About a half an hour in, I set an interval timer on my phone to run for five minutes and walk one minute. I needed the breaks to keep my heart rate down. About halfway through the Sudafed must have kicked in because I started to feel good considering how shitty I felt. Why didn’t I just take the Sudafed earlier?! I managed to pick up the pace and put a smile on my face.

That was a forced smile. I was miserable but had just remembered that I should take pictures.

Around mile ten my legs got tired. I have no idea if this would have happened with or without being sick. Did skipping all my runs in the week leading up to the race cause this? Or was I physically not prepared for the race? Did my nutrition suck? Did being sick have something to do with it? I don’t know, but I pushed through it and gave it everything I had.

At around mile 12 I saw my wonderful husband and got to kiss his face. Seeing him made the last 1.5-ish miles better. There was a small incline right before the finish line, and I was whooped, so I started walking. My husband saw me and basically told me to get my ass moving, so I did, but with a smile. I literally danced across the finish line with cheers from my husband and the trail running group.

The finisher mug was the ticket to homemade buffalo chili after the race. Yum!

Not sure what my official time was because they haven’t been posted yet, but my watch said 2:39 and some seconds. I’d say that’s not too shabby for feeling like shit. I’d hoped to beat my Grand Teton half marathon time, but it clearly wasn’t in the stars. Maybe next time.

Training Journal

Christina View All →

Endlessly seeking adventure.

2 Comments Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: